At Bromley High, we understand that secondary school education is the gateway to a successful and satisfying professional career.
We ensure our girls leave the school with a general understanding of how to approach the interactions of professional life, with an informed sense of the various paths open to them in further education and as a career, and with the self-knowledge to make excellent choices about their future.
Our alumni form an integral part of the Careers education that we offer. It is a pleasure to hear about their professional successes, and many of them act as mentors to our girls.
Careers in Year 7, 8 and 9
In Year 7, 8 and 9, our girls study aspects of Careers Education through the PSHE programme which aims to:
- Introduce students to the key personal skills
- Practice communicating their skill experience, making this relevant to the workplace and identifying how they may need to use their skills in different ways at work compared to in their current lives
- Key Stage 4 choices
- Understanding of feedback and how to use effectively
- Develop skills of refection and target setting
- Introduce personal development and independence
We also hold an Options Evening for Year 9 pupils choosing their GCSE options, to give parents and girls the opportunity to explore the different options available to help make an informed choice.
Careers in Years 10 and 11
Topics in Year 10 and 11 include:
- Career path options
- Employability skills
- CV writing
- A level choices
- Interview skills
- Financial awareness
- Preparation for work experience.
A number of visits and days in industry are also organised for pupils considering career paths in specific areas.
In addition, following the completion of an online profile, an impartial careers guidance interview with a Futurewise Advisor is offered to all pupils to inform their decisions regarding post-16 progression.
All Year 11 pupils are expected to undertake a one-week work experience placement in July.