Bromley High School was founded on 18th January 1883; the thirteenth school of the Girls’ Public Day School Trust (now the GDST). The opening of Bromley High School marked the first public recognition in Bromley of the importance of higher education for girls. The original site of the school was in Elmfield Road, adjacent to Bromley South railway station.
From the outset, the school offered high levels of scholarship and a strong interest in language.
Our most famous teacher was Richmal Crompton (Miss Lamburn) author of the ‘William’ stories who taught Classics at Bromley High School, until she contracted polio in 1923.
Bromley High School moved from Bromley South to the site in Blackbrook Lane in 1980.
Three decades and many Education Ministers later, the school continues to innovate, challenge and inspire our pupils, ready for exciting and productive lives in the future.
The school’s motto ‘Fides et Opera’, means ‘By faith and by works’.
“It’s motto ‘Fides et Opera’ reflects the school’s intention to imbue pupils with self- belief and a strong sense of social purpose, and to nurture their conviction that much may be achieved by hard work and consistent effort”ISI