Bromley High School opened its doors on 18th January 1883 and was the second of the schools to be opened by the Girls' Public Day School Trust (now known as the Girls’ Day School Trust). The town Bromley High served was very different in 1883 from the present London Borough of Bromley. In the words of the first Headmistress, Miss Heppel, “Bromley was a small country town, surrounded by pleasant woods and meadows. What is now Highland Road was a wood where we gathered bluebells”.
Bromley High School offered ‘high levels of scholarship’ and a strong interest in ‘language’. The first Head, Miss Heppel, was ‘an expert in the French language’.
The opening of Bromley High School marked the first public recognition in Bromley of the importance of higher education for girls. In 2013 we celebrate 130 years of Bromley High School. In that time the face of education has changed, but our aims have not. We continue to put girls at the heart of all that we do and we are very proud of all that they achieve.
Please take the time to look at our 130th Celebration Booklet and see for yourself the many changes at the school over the years 130 year of excellence booklet