Bromley High School was founded on 18th January 1883; the thirteenth school of the Girls' Public Day School Trust (now the GDST). The opening of Bromley High School marked the first public recognition in Bromley of the importance of higher education for girls.
From the outset, the school offered ‘high levels of scholarship’ and a strong interest in ‘language.’ The first Headmistress, Miss Heppel, was ‘an expert in the French language’.
The original site of the school was in Elmfield Road adjacent to Bromley South railway station. Miss Heppel remarked, “Bromley was a small country town, surrounded by pleasant woods and meadows. What is now Highland Road was a wood where we gathered bluebells.”
Our most famous teacher was Richmal Crompton (Miss Lamburn) author of the ‘William’ stories who taught Classics at Bromley High until she contracted polio in 1923
More information on the History of the school can be found on these celebratory leaflets for the school’s 125th and 130th anniversary.